Thursday, February 21, 2013

turning this whole act around

Hey everybody,

Still alive and kicking. I abandoned this blog for a solid few months there, and it's actually not because life is totally sucking. I think I've pinpointed the reason for hiatus after hiatus: I honestly lost interest. The Q&As were getting repetitive and no offense, but a lot of them were things you could find either by reading my blog/searching old Q&As or Googling. I also got tired of the role of "all-knowing optometry student" (which I'm obviously not) and after being in the program for this long, it's hard to sympathize with the stresses of things like passing an undergrad organic chemistry class. My grades don't matter to you, what I did to get here doesn't matter, none of that should matter because I am not and never was a textbook candidate for optometry school. Because there is no such thing. The schools tell you what they want in a candidate. There are forums and sites out there specifically designed to help you get into optometry school. It's unfortunate that it took me this long to realize this, but I don't want this blog to be one of those kinds of resources. I want to talk about where I'm GOING, not where I've been (over, and over, and over).
(If you want a good blog to follow: http://pacificuoptometry.blogspot.com!)

So I think I'm going to take the Q&A function down. Comments on posts are still welcome, of course, and if you do have a burning question for me, feel free to leave it in a comment under a post.

So, what's actually going on? Well, part 1 of boards is four weeks away. I'm trying not to freak out. KMK, the prep course for boards, was a huge help and I don't think I'd be remotely close to as level-headed as I think I am if it weren't for that. I've been studying since winter break but I don't know if I'll ever feel prepared enough. I can't wait to get it over with!

I've been trying to maintain a pretty normal life in spite of boards. It's hard sometimes when I still have to go to school and the classes can seem like they aren't worth attending. I don't mind clinic at all and wish I could have more of it if it meant I had less class. Studying for midterms when I should be studying for boards is annoying and exhausting. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that other schools (SCCO?) get a whole month off to study for boards. We only get the Thursday, Friday, and Monday before the 2-day test off, and in my opinion, not a whole ton of ground can be broken in that amount of time. Anyway, I'm still trying to make time to hang out with friends, spend time with my boyfriend, call my family, and refocus my mental state when needed. In addition to all this I'm looking for housing for my rotations, figuring out when to take parts 2 and 3 of boards during 4th year, and trying to get started on the post-grad planning. I'm undecided on whether I want to do a residency or not, but the more I think about it, the better of an idea it becomes. If I have any hope of moving back to California, I need as much of a competitive edge as I can get. Cali isn't necessarily the goal at this time, but it'd be nice to have it as an option.

Anyway, maybe I'll start writing in here a bit more now that I've freed myself from the pressures I put on myself from the beginning. I don't know if my little internet audience will appreciate it, but it's either that or forget about the blog forever.

23 comments:

  1. Post excellent about current affair great information for all about and book mark it share with friends

    ECO 372 FINAL EXAM

    ECO 365 FINAL EXAM

    http://aplusgrad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope the boards went well for you. I actually know an optometrist in Edmonton and he said he had a rough time with school, but it was worth it when he finally made it. So best of luck to you, it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toowoomba Optometrists selection of glasses was also outstanding. I sat there for
    about a half hour to forty-five minutes debating what glasses I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the end of the day they are only glasses
    www.visionwithoutglassesadvice.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post, and I don't know if anyone else ever felt this way. But when I was younger I was terrified to go to the optometrist for my first time. Because I thought that it was going to be like the dentist. But thankfully it was nothing like the dentist, and also another good thing that came from the appointment was that my eyes are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine doing all that and still maintaining a blog. Congrats on the dedication! I've never gone to an optometrist in Red Deer. I don't need glasses, but I've always wanted some to help me look smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, running that seems like a lot for a student's workload. Heh, even my Edmonton optometrist has a hard time keeping his going, and he only works three days a week, I think. I imagine it's good stress relief though, so well done maintaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go get my eyewear in Edwardsville . I totally understand where you are coming from with this blog. People can just ask their local optometrist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi OptoGirl, thank you for making this blog, it's super informative and I feel like it has helped me a lot. I'm applying to Pacific this month, and your blog really helped me imagine what it might be like. I look forward to your next post--I definitely want to hear about where you end up going next and your journey after school ends!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really should see the optometrist in Scottsdale AZ. I have those white spots in my eyes at times. I heard that is caused by the blood vessels in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a great optometrist in Victoria BC. He was so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been a great blog. Thanks for sharing. eye clinic edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings! Fellow OD here since 2008. Just want to wish you luck on your studies. Keep up with the blogging..it can keep life more interesting. I started one up also:http://www.happydoctorblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the advice! My son is studying to become an optometrist in Calgary. I know school can be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this I've been looking for an optometrist in Burnaby and this was really useful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. update please!

    ReplyDelete
  17. William VanderSysMarch 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM

    California is a great place to be, for sure. As for residency versus non-residency - it probably all depends upon your career focus as an optometrist. Either way, good luck with the decision-making process. And good luck with the upcoming boards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the update! I can only imagine how busy life can get being an optometry student. My son is considering optometry school..do you have any advice?

    Lana Lynch | http://www.drmayers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I have medicaid? How often am I allowed to get a new set of glasses? Mine have broken around the bridge.

    bryanflake1984| http://www.visioneyeland.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It makes sense that you would get tired of this. Sometimes questions can become very repetitive. I think you have been doing a great job though.

    Bill | http://www.drstanleyeng.com/products_and_services.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need to get new contacts soon because my eye sight has been getting worse. My mom thinks that I should go see someone soon before school starts again. Later this week, I am going to try and see an optometrist. http://www.johnmountfordoptometrist.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  22. No matter how hard it is, you must not give up........ How a Diamond process? keep pressuring..... So, are you Optometrist?

    ReplyDelete