Sunday, November 4, 2012

Q&As from forever ago


Are classes in Opto school exclusively science classes w/ labs? Or is there any variation? From a nervous social science/humanities major haha...


First year consists of a lot of core science classes to build your foundation. You have them all throughout your time at optometry school (pharmacology, optics, systemic and ocular disease, etc), but later in the curriculum you get some less science-y classes like pediatrics, lifespan, low vision, things like that. There are also practice management courses throughout. There aren't many courses that don't involve science and/or math, though. Everything comes back to the eye and the brain after all, so if you aren't into science, that's something to think about.



Hi Krystal. I love your blog and optometry. Do you think it will be challenging to find a job once you're done with school? So far, that is my only concern about the profession. It's hard to get a feel for it when I talk to older doctors


I've touched on this previously. I honestly have no idea how hard it will be for me to find a job once I graduate. It's all about networking and the connections you make while you are in school.



Hi. I am nervous about all this. I realize that school will be hard, first semester being the hardest? Can you tell us your experience...you have written about first semester but does it get any easier? Please say it doesn't get any harder???


I think I've written about every semester I've completed so far... all 5.5 of them! Maybe look a little harder? Every semester is difficult in its own way. I'd have to say second year takes the cake for most difficult, though.



i was wondering how you're able to remember all the information you learn from class? I am an undergrad student and i feel like every time after a final, i for get EVERYTHING! But during the quarter i know the details well. how do you keep on top of this?


To study in a program like this, there isn't much you can do besides the "binge and purge" study bulimia method. As for the things I retain, basically you learn and revisit the fundamentals over and over again in multiple classes, and when you are practically applying what you've learned while you're in clinic, the most commonly encountered and important details stick. Your career is real life, though, and nobody expects you to know everything about everything off the top of your head. That's why text, smart phone, and internet references are your friend. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I just got into optometry school and I was wondering if there was any pearls of wisdom you could pass down about study tactics for 1st semester? Although I go to university in Australia and it might be slightly different, I've heard that's when they dump all the theory on you.
    Also I'd really love to know if the ideas you had of the OD have lived up to your expectations so far.
    Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you wrote this article Miss Crystal. Manhattan eye doctors

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to join the Q&A. I was wondering how diet affects eye
    health? For instance, I have hypoglycemia--besides avoiding certain
    foods for blood sugar, should I avoid certain foods for my vision? I've
    always heard that carrots improve eyesight, but that's the only "food
    lore" I've heard related to eyes. Thanks!

    Edith | http://www.total-eyes.com/team.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had pretty good eyesight but lately it has gotten progressively worse. It has been a weird process for me because I'm not used to it but I went to the eye doctor and I got some glasses. It's feels so good to be able to see clearly now. http://www.whiterockoptometry.com/our-doctors

    ReplyDelete