Friday, October 26, 2012

did you want to hear from me?

Heeeey guys... It lives! Soooo it has been a 3-month hiatus and I'm not 100% sure why that happened. I have a lot going on with school and clinic and exams and TAing and being a real human and blah blah blah excuse excuse. I got a comment earlier this month: "Where are you, optogirl? I miss your blogging!!! Does this mean third year totally sucks...?" so I guess some kind of explanation is in order? No, third year doesn't totally suck. I think second year was a lot harder to deal with! I've honestly just been lazy with my internet presence and have been focusing more on "real life", whatever that means.

Here's a little synopsis of what's been up:

  • I'm doing pretty well in clinic. I remember being so terrified when I first started in the summer, and it has gotten a lot more manageable! I wouldn't say "easier", but things come together more smoothly for me now. Diagnosing a condition, carrying out tests, and prescribing medications and executing treatments make a LOT more sense when you have an actual human in front of you. Clinic learning seems to involve a completely different side of my brain than classroom learning. I see/hear/learn something once in clinic and I won't forget it. So that's pretty neat, since when I study for classes I have to review something like 5 times for it to sink in.
  • On that note, classes are fine. We only have each one once (well, one we have twice) per week, which means we have fewer midterms and it's easier to keep up with material. I do not miss the days of having most classes 2-3x a week! This kind of schedule seems to continue next semester, which is nice because...
  • NATIONAL BOARDS PART 1 IS IN LIKE 4.5 MONTHS AHHH!!! I registered for Part I yesterday and also registered for KMK (the prep course + study materials for NBEO), meaning I just sunk $1125 into one part (out of 3) of a test. I know this isn't the first time I've talked about optometry school being expensive, but seriously. This excludes the cost of Canadian boards, which I may/may not take depending on where I go with my relationship.
  • Speaking of which (do you like these segways from point to point? I'm on a roll) things are just peachy and lovely with le boyfriend. He's coming down to California with me for Thanksgiving, which I'm excited/nervous about. I have no doubts about my family adoring him, since he's already met and charmed the most intimidating members anyway (parents and "over-protective" uncle), but I do wonder what he'll think when he sees what I meant all along about growing up on a mountain and having too many pets and living in a pseudo-hippie town and such. We have lots of fun things planned though. I can't wait to just get to it!
I'm currently in California visiting my family on fall break, which is the same thing as the AAO (American Academy of Optometry) Meeting for people who don't actually go to the AAO Meeting and get to take 3 days off in the week because practically the entire faculty is gone at the meeting. I'm heading back to Oregon on Sunday so I'm enjoying this little taste of Cali while I can. I was feeling kind of homesick and I'm getting more than enough of home to hold me over until the holidays begin...

I don't want to go too crazy since this is my first time writing in three months... I gotta take it easy, otherwise nobody will want to read it, ya know? So in the next couple of days I'll try and get to the Q&As that have been ripening in my inbox for too long.

4 comments:

  1. hi! i'm fadhilah from Malaysia, Asia. i'm an optometry (undergrads) as well. god, I'm so excited to actually find an optometry student's blog! :D could you please send me an email at genie.fadhilah@yahoo.com or nfa.fadhilah@gmail.com please? i need to ask a few question regarding optometry school in your country. your cooperation is really appreciated. thanks a lot! p/s do drop an email, please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that things are working out for you in the clinic.
    www.visionwithoutglassesadvice.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be pretty cool to work for an optometrist clinic in Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete